William Minnix

Obituary of William Henry "Bill" Minnix

Please share a memory of William to include in a keepsake book for family and friends.
William Henry “Bill” Minnix was born March 21, 1926 and passed away March 24, 2023 in Miami, FL. He was born to Walter Green Minnix and Onnie Odell Powell Minnix. He married Christine Goodner-Wilson on March 16, 1947. The children of Bill and Christine are Dr. William Henry Minnix, Dr. Rebekah Christine Minnix Smith, and Victoria “Vicky” Minnix Cuerzo. His brothers were Aubie Rutledge Minnix, Jessee Wyatt Minnix, and Walter Green Minnix, Jr. His sisters were Mable Gates, Marie Ellis, and Mary Lou Crossley. Bill Minnix was inducted into the US Army on August 8, 1944 at Fort McPherson, Georgia. When he was honorably discharged in 1946, he had advanced from the rank of private to the rank of private first class. Bill Minnix was sent to Camp Blanding, Florida for basic infantry training. Due to losses sustained by rifle companies in Italy, Normandy, and the Rhineland campaigns, the army was in need of infantry trained soldiers. At this time (in the autumn of 1944) the basic infantry course for recruits was seventeen weeks. Due to heavy casualties after the Germans launched their counteroffensive in December 1944, known as the “Battle of the Bulge”, Minnix and his fellow recruits received only fifteen weeks of training before they were ordered overseas to the combat zone. Bill, along with a large group of replacements, boarded a train bound for Camp Kilmer, New Jersey, the army’s staging area for troops departing the Port of New York for their Atlantic crossing the European Theater. The ship arrived in Le Harve, a war-torn port city on the Normandy coast of France, in January 1945. Bill and the thousands of young soldiers, who were arriving for combat in Europe, were sent to one of several replacement depots (called “Reppo-Deppots” by the troups.) Because of the ongoing Battle of the Bulge, every infantry division was engaged in combat. The rifle companies were desperate for replacements as most of them had suffered 80% casualty rates. There were many critics of the army’s replacement system. In other armies, after a period of combat, division replacements were pulled back for the rest. Here, they would be integrated into their respective units, trained, and given a period in which to acquaint themselves with their leaders before returning to combat. However, the US Army wanted to keep constant pressure on the Germans and made a decision that all divisions would remain on the line. Casualties would be filled on the front lines by a constant stream of replacements. This system allowed divisions to remain in combat indefinitely, placing a great hardship on a young replacement being led to his unit (often during the night) as he was being directed to a foxhole. Many times this was done while the position was under artillery or mortar fire, and there was no opportunity for him to meet his leader, make friends, or be told what was expected of him. To a veteran soldier, the new replacement had not “paid his dues” and consequently many times he was given the most dangerous assignment. In fact, this is exactly what happened to Bill Minnix. In late January 1945, Minnix received his orders to be assigned to Company G, 2nd Battalion, 393rd Infantry Regiment, 99th “Checkerboard” Division as a replacement rifleman. The 99th had arrived two months earlier in late 1944, and was assigned to a “quiet” zone on the Belgium-German border, where the troops could acclimate themselves to the war. Fate intervened, however, and the 99th happened to be in the exact position the Germans had selected to spear head their armored attack in what became known as the “Battle of the Bulge.” The young citizen-soldiers of the 99th fought like battle-tested veterans. Their tenacious defense disrupted the timetable of the German attack. Eighteen-year-old Minnix remembered well the circumstances of his introduction to combat. Around midnight, a truck brought him and other replacements to the rear of the front line near the small German town of Udenbreth. Through the darkness, he and another young soldier were led to one of the foxholes of Company G. They had to move slowly and quietly as they were under direct observation of the enemy entrenched in pillboxes a few hundred feet away. The night Bill arrived coincided with the 99th Infantry Division’s relieving the 82nd Airborne Division, which had been occupying the position for several days. A few minutes after Minnix got into his foxhole, the Germans sensed movement and lit up the night with flares and tracers from their machine guns. The next day Bill was given his assignment – scout. This meant that Minnix would be the “point” man; the person who proceeds the other members of the platoon, and usually the first one to draw enemy fire. First scout turned out to be his assignment for the duration of the war. On February 7, 1945, Company G launched its attack through the fortified German lines at Udenbreth. With the aid of a tank-destroyer unit and bazooka fire, by February 11, the men were able to penetrate and break through the German fortifications. Minnix had survived his first combat experience, but later that month succumbed to a most unusual illness, the mumps. Hospitalized for a short period, after recovery he was sent back to his unit in mid-March. By this time, it had crossed the Rhine River at Remagen. Bill caught up with them east of Linz, and on March 21, his 19th birthday, he resumed his job as first scout. For the next thirty days the 99th Infantry Division fought southeastward, and then aided in the closing of the Ruhr pocket, entrapping hundreds of thousands of German troops. In some areas the resistance was very stiff and violent clashes continued to take the lives of the young soldiers of Company G of the 393rd Infantry Regiment. After the closing of the Ruhr pocket, the troops pushed southeast and reached the Danube near Reid. The 393rd was the first unit to cross the river, crossing in twelve-man boats near Eining. On May 2, they began their drive to the Inn River. Three days later they were ordered to cease offensive operations and proceed to Landshut for occupation duty. The war ended on May 8, 1945, with the unconditional surrender of all German forces. Minnix fought in the front lines as an infantryman in three major campaigns in the European Theater and then served in the Army of Occupation. He returned home in July 1946 after eighteen months overseas. The following medals were awarded to Bill Minnix: Combat Infantryman’s Badge, Good Conduct Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three Bronze Battle Stars (for Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe), Presidential Unit Citation, World War II Victory Medal, Army of Occupation Medal for Germany, and the Belgium Fourragere. Bill Minnix was reared in the Dawson community. He was living in Rome, Georgia when he left to serve his country. He divided his time between his home in Miami, Florida and his home in Ocoee, Tennessee. Obituary courtesy of Landmarks of DeKalb County, Alabama Arrangements Entrusted to W.T. Wilson Funeral Chapel of Rainsville, Alabama and Stanfill Funeral Home of Miami, Florida
To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of William Minnix, please visit Tribute Store
Online Memory & Photo Sharing Event
Online Event
About this Event
William Minnix

In Loving Memory

William Minnix

1926 - 2023

Look inside to read what others have shared
Family and friends are coming together online to create a special keepsake. Every memory left on the online obituary will be automatically included in this book.
Services for William Minnix
There are no events scheduled. You can still show your support by sending flowers directly to the family, or planting a memorial tree in memory of William Minnix.
Visit the Tribute Store
Share Your Memory of